Sunday, July 27, 2003

It's been a while since I've shared, but last night I was visiting Lake Neshonoc and took a boat ride with a girl and a kid who was like the kindergartners in Southpark. We sailed around looking for things, and found a factory on fire. Then the kid got lost. I started snooping around and found a hidden floor in the house looking out over a garden. It was set up like an Indiana Jones puzzle. There was a really tall, good-looking guy in the room at the end, cooking something in a kitchen. Then everyone arrived and was glad I made it through.

Pirates of the Caribbean: If you like pirates go see this movie. It is fun. Johnny Depp is perfect (how could I doubt?) The whole skeleton special effects thing that makes the movie into an expensive blockbuster is actually kind of lame. I wanted the scenes with the skeletons to be cooler than they were. If they had done it with real people instead of computer graphics (like the orcs in the Lord of the Rings movies) it would have been better. And Orlando should have shaved that face stain off.

I just had some Anchor Steam Beer and am lusting after another. I mine as well take this time to give a run down of some of my favorite brews. Enjoy while I fetch another bottle:

  • City Brewery, La Crosse, WI – Had to start with the home town favorite. Formally the Heileman brewery, in 1999 became known as The City Brewery. A group of persons formerly employed by or affiliated with Heileman as well as local investors succeeded in purchasing the brewery. They subsequently extended ownership to City Brewery employees. Choice brew: La Crosse Lager
  • Bodega Brew & Pub, La Crosse, WI - Have to check if they have their own website… Located in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, they recently began brewing their own beer. Great atmosphere, check it out if you are visiting.

  • Leinenkugel’s, Chippewa Falls, WI - Ah Leinie. Brewer of good beer (Honey Weiss, Big Butt, Oktoberfest, Red etc.) and the worst beer I’ve ever tasted (Berry Weiss - tastes like Hi-C).

  • Great Lakes Brewing, Cleveland, OH - Locktender Lager is my fav. The food is really good but pricey. The area has recently been renovated and you can check out Talkies cafe, City Buddha imports and the West Side Market - all within walking distance. Market 25 has more food. Just moments from the Zoo and downtown.

  • Buckeye Brewing, Bedford Heights, OH - Tiny brewery, brews damn big beer. Try the Hippie I.P.A. (Indian pale ale) next time you’re in a Winking Lizard tavern.

  • Michelob Amber Bock , National – Again, I think I finally find a beer that is mass-produced and therefore can get anywhere, but it turns out to be a “specialty brew.” One of the only beers my boyfriend and I can agree on.

  • JW Dundee’s Honey Brown, Rochester, NY – The problem with learning to like a beer is you always wonder if you should be asking for it at a restaurant (or are they going to look at me like I’m a snoot?). This one is sometimes available in the Cleveland area. I get it by the case from the local MARC’s grocery store.

  • Angelic Brewing company, Madison, WI – Good brew. One of the most fun places to drink in Madison. Some others that I was scared to go in at first include State Street Brats, Crystal Corner and the Avenue. Get over your fear and check them out!




  • No comments: