Saturday, November 13, 2004

"Change happens over time - with repeated attempts."

Aggressive pacifist or subdued activist? That is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of sharing personal information on insecure websites just to meet and have vapor-friendships with strange people I’ll never meet. Of course I did meet a lady who was a seven nations fan in real life. But, honestly, she turned out to be someone who would meet people on the internet. Not that she wasn’t nice and all, but people who meet people on the internet strike me as either morbidly friendly yet friendless, or crazy. There should be a new term ending in “-ism” to explain the apolitical correctness I just aired there.

I usually practice the magic theory of personal secrecy which gets me decried as private, shy, quiet or stuck up (when I see myself as only the first and the last). That is, never tell anyone your real (or full) name. That alone insults a lot of people, but at the same time, builds a shielding that only lets me communicate with what usually turns out to be the insistently talkative. But still, it just doesn’t feel right to my Midwestern sensibilities to open up and share everything with everyone. Plus, I’m just not that sure of myself.

Oh, by the way, I have been in a state of non-computer communicability (computercability?) due to the fact that Internet Explorer is stupid and I hate it and Norton is a big waste of money. So now I’m using Foxfire. Yay.

I had a dream last night and it is so funny – in a short story I wrote I had a girl retelling a dream about loosing her teeth and her friend told her that that meant she was afraid of growing up. And last night, after confiding in my significant other that I felt old (sort of) since I just turned 28 and he’s still 26, I had a dream where all my teeth came out, and I think for the first time I really understood how dream interpretation can be right. The feeling I had in my dream (part of which took place inside a 5 and dime store like the one my grandma use to take me to that was stocked with old toys) as my teeth loosened and I plucked each one of them was the same feeling I had when I lost my baby teeth, only tinged with a little fear since I had already lost my baby teeth. Anyway, thought I’d share.

No comments: