Wednesday, June 04, 2003

You fuckin nasty little elves!

Last night all kinds of problems came crashing down on my head, the most of which was something I had no control over and that honestly doesn’t effect me directly. The least of which was the fact that my computer kept giving me crap about not being able to log on to the internet due to a bad connection. I thought this was something I could handle – or at least ignore long enough to put it in its proper worrying order:

1. War in Iraq
2. FCC deregulation
3. Dakota School closings
4. Morgan can’t log in to internet

Well, of course things never work out that way. It was more like:

1. Can’t log in to internet – world sucks – I am useless, can’t do anything right, can’t even fix the damn computer – try plugging it in to different phone line, try logging in on other computer, try changing settings, try uninstalling program, check modem, check dial up choices, try crying,
1a. Oh man, now I can’t even email something to another computer to take to a place
I can print it out – can’t print it out from this computer because my printer
cartridge is old and spotty – going to have to buy $50 printer cart and don’t have the money.
1aB – I, :-.Not going to be able to get contact information for Minnesota congressman or La Crosse Tribune to tell them about stupid Winona shutting down a tiny little country elementary school that I went to as a kid. And it’s not just nostalgia, I have connections to that school and to the people of the great community surrounding it that are watching the Powers That Be bulldoze them into oblivion – get all unfocused and angry, eat brownies and ice cream, play videogame and kick the shit out of the BAD GUYS. If ONLY I could do that in real life – there’s a lot of ass to kick out there.

But I went to bed. I dreamed of a meeting here in Cleveland of a group of Renaissance Fair people who brought fancy drinks and good pie and some other treats and were very intellectual and cool, and said that they had such a better turn out than they did in Chicago. Then I dreamed of a few of them who were working on a glider project and we loaded up this homemade glider and took it on a few test flights over some Universities. Woke up after a good nights sleep and a good feeling from the dreams. Made myself some coffee, came in here dreading to turn on my computer but thought I at least had to try.

LO AND BEHOLD I AM ONLINE!!!!!!!!!

Praise Jeebus. I blame rotten little elves. I guess my version of the worry system works in reverse too. A little thing can cheer me up immensely.

No comments: