Friday, August 13, 2010

Frontier House

If you want some inspiration to keep you on track eating local, imagine living in 1883. It's an exercise in simplicity, ingenuity and sacrifice. One of the first reality tv shows I ever saw was Frontier House on PBS. Not only did the participants have to eat what they could grow, trade for (that would have existed in 1883) or raise, they also had to build their own houses! And they had to do it for 5 months.

I think that is one of the reasons I chose to be an extreme locovore. If I can't find any local oil, vinegar etc. tough - I should just eat what it takes to fill my belly and sustain my health.


Yeah right like that's gonna happen. I like food as much as I like sleep. And I like to sleep!

In other news, an article was written recently about the challenge. Check it out here - the reporter talks about a lot of the stuff I've touched on. And, she mentions some staples that can be gathered at the farmer's market. My shopping list includes:

- Onions
- Garlic
- Potatoes
- Walnuts
- Sunflower Oil

I also want to try local tofu. And, I hope this will inspire the coop to have more local fish (otherwise I may have to make a journey back to Prairie du Chien to Valley Fish - or get my fishing license. )

No comments: